Rod is a partner in our Private Wealth team. He has twenty-five years’ experience in advising on high value, complex and multi-jurisdictional matters. Rod specialises in advising on the creation, running, restructuring and transfer of domestic and cross-border estates and trusts as well as on Court of Protection and regulatory matters.
At the forefront of Rod’s advice are opportunities to save tax. He is also experienced in working through tax disclosure facilities and challenging decisions made by HMRC and others, including the IRS, particularly on domicile. Whatever the issue, Rod provides his clients with advice that is easy to understand, no-nonsense and practical.
Rod has enjoyed notable successes advising executors and trustees of estates and trusts who have become dissatisfied with their previous advisers. This includes challenging professional fees. Rod also acts for beneficiaries and his current contentious caseload includes defending a proprietary estoppel claim, contesting a fraudulent Will and removal of an executor for failure to preserve the assets of an estate.
Lastly, Rod has acted as a Court appointed independent administrator and given expert witness evidence.
- Co-chair of the Law Society’s Wills and Equity committee (September 2020 to August 2023)
- Member of the Law Society’s Wills and Equity committee (September 2013 to August 2020)
- Observer to the Law Society’s Capital Taxes sub-committee (September 2016 to August 2023)
- Member of HMRC’s Trusts & Estates Agents’ Advisory Group (September 2016 to August 2023)
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)