We advise a wide range of clients on joint venture projects and shareholders’ agreements across numerous business sectors. Whether you are an established property developer working with new funders, or an entrepreneur with an idea, we can help protect your rights whilst ensuring that what is agreed between the joint venture parties is workable in practice.
We have considerable experience of protecting our clients’ interests through the negotiation of consent rights, management rights, share transfer restrictions and deadlock resolution provisions.
We work with our tax colleagues and our clients’ tax advisors to ensure that the structure of the joint venture is the most tax efficient for the parties.
We have a particular focus on acting on real estate joint ventures and act regularly for both developers and investors. We know how to strike the balance between investors seeking to protect their returns and to exercise good corporate governance with developers who need to be properly incentivised to complete their projects and allowed the flexibility to run the projects on a day-to-day basis.
Examples of experience
- Acting for a UK developer on its joint venture with a major institutional pension fund for the development of a mixed use property in Wembley.
- Acting for a major US rental property manager on its joint venture with a UK real estate investment fund for the development and management of a build-to-rent project in Southampton.
- Acting for a UK based developer on its joint venture with a major real estate investment fund for the development of an office building in the City of London.
- Acting for a London-based architecture, design and development company on its joint venture with the owner of a Mayfair property for its redevelopment.
- Acting for property development lender Iron Bridge Finance on its acquisition of a majority interest in Orlandis Capital, the real estate JV equity provider founded by Christian Candy’s CPC Group.