We are very active in this relatively new sector and have helped a wide range of clients, including family offices, UHNW individuals and property funds to successfully complete Build-to-Rent developments.
Build-to-Rent, for those unfamiliar with the term, refers to new-build apartment blocks, specifically for renters. Schemes have to include at least 50 homes, all owned and managed by one landlord. The Build-to-Rent sector in the UK has grown substantially in recent years with some 150,000 build-to-rent units either completed or planned across the UK.
We have a team who can expertly guide clients through the Build-to-Rent process, from start to finish, covering acquisition, financing, forward-funding, planning, rights to light advice, construction contracts and lettings. In particular, we have experience in the funding of modular PRS schemes, which are becoming more common, as issues around funding and delivery are being refined and resolved.
- A joint venture, with a family office, on the acquisition of a new site in West London for redevelopment as a 300-bed scheme
- The purchase of land in Clapham, by way of forward funding, by a well-known institution with planning consent obtained for the demolition of the existing office buildings, the redevelopment of the site incorporating the erection of 6 buildings ranging from 4 – 10 storeys, including a mixed-use scheme (offices/residential and gym)
- Acquisition of 15 storey office building in Wembley with approval obtained by client to refurbish the building to create 360 PRS modular units
- Acting for a major PRS-focused client on the purchase and development of a portfolio of substantial regional properties, which will create circa 900 PRS units
- Purchase of various northern regional PRS social housing portfolios for the RediResi Group
Related Services and Sectors
- Landlord and Tenant
- Real Estate Litigation
- Residential Development