Recent years and indeed the challenges of the Covid pandemic have seen significant change in the distribution and logistics sector. Driven by technological advances, many retailers depend on state-of-the-art strategic distribution centres, facilitating “last mile delivery”, with the race to deliver the goods to the end user as fast as possible.
We assist investors, developers, occupiers and providers fulfil the many opportunities this sector presents.
Our team advises on a range of issues, including the development, funding, construction and letting of warehouses, industrial premises, data centres and solar farms, often with proximity to main railway lines and access to important freight terminals around the country. We work closely with other teams within the firm to deliver commercially-focused advice in areas such as structuring, tax and finance.
- In the luxury retail sector we advised Matchesfashion Limited on the rationalisation of an existing portfolio of warehouses, to focus on a single distribution hub (in excess of 130,000 sq. ft.) within the M25. The project included upgrading the existing electricity supply, the installation of new mechanical, electrical and IT infrastructure services, automation systems together with the construction of a 50,000 sq.ft. mezzanine floor
- Acquiring a former RAF base at Upper Heyford, Bicester, Oxfordshire and dealing with all legal work relating to that at the unique heritage site, comprising 1.3m sq ft of varying commercial space with over 100 businesses on site employing 1,200 people
- Acting on the purchase of Spithead Business Centre on the Isle of Wight and the subsequent management work
- Advising in connection with securing planning permission for the delivery of 500,000 sq ft of logistics on part of the former Vauxhall Motors site at Luton (included the negotiation of various planning and highway agreements together with the provision of CPO advice)
- Advising NHS Wales on the leasehold acquisition of a 600,000 sq ft warehouse facility for use as a COVID-19 surge hospital, vaccination centre and PPE storage facility (pro bono)
- Acting for Solarcentury, one of the world’s leading solar energy companies, on the property aspects of all of their UK solar farm developments. We work closely with the client’s development team on the taking of option agreements over potential sites, carrying out property due diligence and ultimately completing leases of the sites.
- Casper Douglas Properties (Lake) Limited
- Matchesfashion Limited